new host on [2013-02-24 Sun 19:25]

After two years with my current hosting provider, I've switched to a new hosting provider, digitalocean. I didn't mind initially that I was paying more than at other budget vps providers. About 3 months ago I started experiencing terrible IO performance. It would take up to 30 seconds to launch vim. It was hit or miss. I put up with it for awhile and then emailed support.

I didn't hear back and then followed up on irc a few months later. Apparently the disk repair was in some unknown state and support was in no hurry to fix it.

I ran ioping to troubleshoot it myself:

    23 requests completed in 26187.1 ms, 6 iops, 0.0 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 34.2/172.3/389.6/106.3 ms

Clearly 6 iops is unacceptable.

On digitalocean:

    0 requests completed in 19091.7 ms, 1737 iops, 6.8 mb/s                      
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/0.6/1.1/0.2 ms



Prev: Writing with voice   Next: Javascript cdns and versions